Thursday, 21 October 2010

Khanyisa 10

The past few days have been busy. On Tuesday I spent some time visiting people in their homes in the township. I went with one of the Izlenda Zethemba staff. It was a humbling expereince. People were so welcoming. They work so hard to make the best of what they have & to provide for their families. So many of them have such faith & are uncomplaining despite their circumstances. Their stories are heart breaking. At the end of the day I was very tired & just wanted to come home & relax. I asked the person I'd been working with what she was doing that evening. She explained that she was going to a funeral wake for someone she knew who had passed away. This colleague lives in the township & has a family to support. One of her sons is in the middle of taking exams. She had been comforting others all day & was now going home to a difficult evening. I realised I had nothing to complain about.
Today I was in one of the adult support groups. They were so open about some of their struggles. It nade me realise how important the work of Izlanda Zethemba is & the support they provide.
Khanyisa Church has it's 10th Birthday celebrations this weekend so everyone is looking forward to a time of Thanksgiving & fun!

1 comment:

Gill said...

Hi Ruthie,

I'd imagine this trip will be life changing for you from the impact of what you are describing. I am sure the support you are giving is a blessing to those working there. Love Gill