I thought today, I'd write a bit about life in South Africa. The climate in Cape Town is very changeable at the moment. It can be very windy at times which is great on the warm days but not so good on the cooler days!
I think the cost of living isn't much different to the UK overall, although petrol is only 78p! Electricity is expensive & most people use a "pay as you go" system. Internet & phone calls are expensive I think there are only about 2 providers so there is no competition. The TV is awful...... (apologies to any South Africans reading this, but it really is terrible!) Cars are also expensive. You don't need to have an MOT done unless you are selling a car! This means you see some interesting vehicles on the road!
The children start school at 8 am & finish at 2pm. However they have all just finished exams & now finish at 1pm. This makes it very hard for working Mums. They are having a shorter summer holiday this year as they all had time off during the world cup.
Nearly everyone takes at least 2 sugars in their tea. It's not uncommon for people to have 4 sugars!!! More a case of "do you have tea with your sugar!" They think I'm mad at work because I use low fat milk & no sugar!
I had to go to the department of home affairs on Monday to extend my visa. I'd been told to go to one of their offices in the suburbs. When I got there I was told it was the wrong office & to go to the one in the city. It was mayhem there, people queuing out of the door! This is normal apparently & there were catering stands there making a fortune! Mostly it was refugees.
The office in Capetown was slightly better. I have to complete some paperwork. The official advised me to get there early, when they open at 07.30 to save having to wait for too long! So I'll be taking a flask of coffee & a good book with me on Monday!
No comments:
Post a Comment